Rebels choose New CM, HC stays Arunachal Assembly Session

Newsroom24x7 Desk

arunachal pradeshNew Delhi : Arunachal Pradesh, which was reeling deeply under political crisis, finally buckled in on Thursday and paved way for major upheavals resulting in certain knee-jerk reactions and impromptu steps being taken, both by the government, as well as the High court. The political crisis in Arunachal Pradesh took a new turn on Thursday, as BJP and rebel Congress legislators chose Kalikho Pul as the new Chief Minister, while the Gauhati High Court stayed all decisions taken by the legislative assembly a day earlier, including removal of Speaker Nabam Rebia.

The issue also rocked parliament, following Chief Minister Nabam Tuki’s letter to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking their support and timely intervention. The long-standing high voltage political drama continued on Thursday, as 34 legislators including Deputy Speaker T. Norbu Thongdok, 20 Congress legislators, 11 BJP legislators and two Independent legislators took part in the second day of the winter session of the assembly conducted at a hotel conference hall.

As a consequence, Leader of Opposition Tamiyo Taga of the BJP tabled a no-confidence motion against Tuki and his council of ministers, which was adopted in the house. Additionally, he extended support to rebel Congress legislator Kalikho Pul as the next chief minister. Pul; also received support from Independent member Paknga Bage. The deputy speaker then called for the Chief Minister and ministers to participate in the discussion on the motion, but it could not happen due to their conspicuous absence. Then, after the motion was adopted, Thongdok adjourned the house sine die.

Meanwhile, the Gauhati High Court single bench of Justice Hrishikesh Roy stayed the proceedings of the assembly till February 1. this took place during the process of hearing a writ petition filed by Supreme Court advocate Kapil Sibal on behalf of Speaker Rebia. It may be noted that Rebia, in his petition, had alleged that Governor J.P. Rajkhowa summoned the winter session without consulting Chief Minister Tuki and his council of ministers and that it was done at the behest of a certain political party. The court will hear the next arguments on February 2 next year.

Tuki alleged that Governor, not stopping by issuing this illegal order, also issued the agenda of the business to be transacted by selectively taking up pending business of removal of the speaker to be chaired by the deputy speaker, whereas the notice for removal of the deputy speaker was submitted earlier to the assembly secretariat. He added, despite he and his council of ministers registering protest and requesting the governor on December 15 to reconsider his illegal order, the Governor refused to heed to their genuine request.

The Congress staged a walkout from the Lok Sabha over the issue during the day session in Parliament. Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge tried to raise the issue but Deputy Speaker M. Thambidurai ruled that such an issue could not be raised in the house. Consequently, after the rejection, Congress members gathered near the speaker’s podium and started shouting slogans over the issue. The Congress members later staged a walkout.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.