Tag Archives: Sydney

Two Sydney men charged over planned terrorist acts

Newsroom24x7 Network

Sydney: Two men – Khaled Khayat, 49, from Lakemba and Mahmoud Khayat, 32, from Punchbowl – have each been charged with Sydney Terror Plot in Parramatta Court on Friday.

The NSW Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT), earlier on Thursday evening (3 August) announced that the two men have been charged with terrorism offences.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

On Saturday, 29 July, four men were arrested following raids on allegations regarding a terrorist attack. Three days later, on 1 August, Abdul Merhi (50), was released without charge.

Another man arrested, along with the two charged with terrorism offences, remains in police custody under ‘specified time’ provisions outlined in Section 23DD of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth). This legislation recognises that terrorism investigations are inherently complex and that there can be legitimate reasons for extended periods of detention for suspects in such matters.

Police have conducted six premises searches across Sydney this week, including in the suburbs of Lakemba, Punchbowl (two locations), Surry Hills, Wiley Park and Bankstown.

This investigation remains ongoing.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Police have urged members of the community to report any suspicious activity to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.

Sydney counter-terrorism operation: 50-year-old man released

Newsroom24x7 Network

Sydney: A 50-year old man, among 4 arrested by the New South Wales Joint Counter Terrorism Team this past Saturday (29 July 2017), regarding an investigation into allegations that some people were intending to commit a terrorist attack using an improvised device.

The 50 years old – was released from police custody Tuesday night (1 August) without being charged with a criminal offence.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

According to a joint statement by Australian Federal Police and NSW Police, three men remain in detention under ‘specified time’ provisions outlined in Section 23DD of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth). This investigation remains ongoing,

According to a joint statement by Australian Federal Police and NSW Police, three men now remain in detention under ‘specified time’ provisions outlined in Section 23DD of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth). This investigation remains ongoing.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Earlier, Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin, had told media that Police had obtained information that some people in Sydney were planning to commit a terrorist attack using an improvised devise. On the basis of this information, Australia’s counter-terrorism task force had swung into action and foiled an attempt by the alleged terrorists to blow up a passenger plane by arresting four persons after late night raids here.

Terrorist plot to bring down plane in Australia: Four arrested after Sydney raids

Newsroom24x7 Network

Sydney: Australia’s counter-terrorism task force foiled an attempt by terrorists to blow up a passenger plane and arrested four persons in this connection after late night raids here.

According to Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin, Police have obtained information that “some people in Sydney were planning to commit a terrorist attack using an improvised devise.” Briefing media-persons, he said that the plot is believed to be related to “Islamic-inspired terrorism”.

Prime Minister of Australia Malcolm Turnbull

Earlier this month (17 July 2017) Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Minister for Defence Marise Payne, in a joint media release on Defence support to “Domestic Counter-Terrorism Arrangements” had announced that The Australian Defence Force will expand its role in assisting the states to respond to terrorist incidents under new changes being made by the Turnbull Government.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

The joint statement declared:

“The overhaul will make it easier for Defence to work together with Federal, State and Territory Police in the event of a terrorist incident.

To stay ahead of the evolving threat of terrorism, the Turnbull Government reviewed Defence’s support to domestic counter-terrorism arrangements to ensure Australia has a co-ordinated and integrated response.

State and Territory Police Forces remain the best first response to terrorist incidents, immediately after an attack starts.

But Defence can offer more support to states and territories to enhance their capabilities and increase their understanding of Defence’s unique capabilities to ensure a comprehensive response to potential terrorist attacks.

Under the changes:

● Defence will offer State and Territory Governments specialised training from Special Forces for select law enforcement teams.
● Defence will offer states and territories placement of officers within law enforcement agencies to assist with liaison and engagement.
● This strengthening of engagement will assist with pre-positioning of the ADF in response to a possible terrorist incident.
● The Government will strengthen Part IIIAAA of the Defence Act to remove some constraints in the provisions to “call out” the ADF to assist states and territories.
● This will include the removal of the provision that currently limits states and territories from asking for ADF support and specialist military skills until their capability or capacity has been exceeded.
● The Government will also make changes to the Act to make it easier for Defence to support the police response, such as the ability to prevent suspected terrorists from leaving the scene of an incident.

These measures are intended to provide increased Commonwealth support to states and territories in their role as first responders to a domestic terrorist incident. In particular these measures will:

· better support states and territories in preparing for terrorist incidents

· enable a more comprehensive ADF response to a terrorist incident if required

· improve information flows between the ADF and police during an incident.

Together, these measures will improve the nation’s ability to respond to terrorism as well as improve the effectiveness of Defence’s contribution to domestic counter-terrorism arrangements. The changes will be made in partnership with State and Territory Governments and we look forward to future engagement through the Council of Australian Governments and the Australia-New Zealand Counter Terrorism Committee.

The Government’s number one priority is keeping Australians safe.

We cannot afford to take a ‘set and forget’ mentality on national security. We must constantly review and update our responses to the threat of terrorism.

The Turnbull Government initiated the review of Defence’s support to national counter-terrorism arrangements in 2016 in response to the changing nature of the threat as demonstrated in recent terrorist attacks around the world.

It’s the first time Defence’s contribution to domestic counter-terrorism has been reviewed since 2005.

Australia reauthorizes Quantas and American Airlines on trans-Pacific routes

Newsroom24x7 Desk

american airlinesMelbourne : The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has issued a draft determination proposing to re-authorize Qantas and American Airlines to continue to coordinate their operations on trans-Pacific routes for a further five years. Under the alliance, the airlines propose to continue coordination in respect of marketing and sales, freight, pricing, scheduling, distribution strategies including agency arrangements, yield and inventory management, frequent flyer programs, lounges, joint procurement, and product and service standards.

The ACCC stated that this alliance would result in continued public benefits for passengers travelling between Australia and the US through enhanced products and services including new frequencies and destinations, more online connections, better scheduling, greater loyalty program benefits and improved lounge access. The alliance is also likely to promote competition between other airlines that provide services on trans-Pacific routes. The alliance, in ACCC’s opinion, is unlikely to result in any significant public detriment, largely because the ACCC accepts that American Airlines would be unlikely to introduce its own trans-Pacific services in the absence of its alliance with Qantas.

The ACCC previously granted authorisation to Qantas and American Airlines on 29 September 2011. The ACCC also granted interim authorisation in July 2015 to facilitate the introduction of two new alliance services from December 2015. Now, with the alliance in place, American Airlines would begin a service operating between Sydney and Los Angeles, and Qantas will begin a service operating between Sydney and San Francisco.

Authorisation provides immunity from court action for conduct that might otherwise raise concerns under the competition provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act (2010). Broadly, the ACCC may grant an authorisation when it is satisfied that the public benefit from the conduct outweighs any public detriment. ACCC is seeking submissions from interested parties in relation to its draft determination, before making a final decision. Submissions could be finalised by next month.