Revealing that there is a “state-sponsored actor” behind a hack two years ago that surfaced last month, Yahoo on Thursday confirmed reports that there has been a huge security breach affecting 500 million users.
Yahoo’s chief information security officer Bob Lord said in a statement on Thursday: “Yahoo believes that information associated with at least 500 million user accounts was stolen and the investigation has found no evidence that the state-sponsored actor is currently in Yahoo’s network. Yahoo is working closely with law enforcement on this matter.”
“The ongoing investigation suggests that stolen information did not include unprotected passwords, payment card data, or bank account information; payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system that the investigation has found to be affected,” Lord said.
Yahoo users have been asked to change their password and security questions if any of these were being used on any other account.