Terrorist attack on Istanbul Ataturk airport: 41 dead, hundreds injured
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said after the attack during the month of Ramadan “terrorism strikes with no regard for faith and values.”
While no one has admitted the attack, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said initial signs point to so-called Islamic State.
The US has condemned the attack. In a statement, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said: “The United States condemns in the strongest possible terms today’s heinous terrorist attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport in Turkey, which appears to have killed and injured dozens. Ataturk International Airport, like Brussels Airport which was attacked earlier this year, is a symbol of international connections and the ties that bind us together. Our deepest condolences go out to the families and loved ones of those killed, and we wish a speedy recovery to those injured. We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO Ally and partner, along with all of our friends and allies around the world, as we continue to confront the threat of terrorism.”
According to available reports, 3 attackers came to the airport in a cab and opened fire at the terminal entrance late on Tuesday. They blew themselves up when police opened fire but not before a total of three bombs had exploded. One of these bombs exploded on the pavement just outside the perminal while another at the security gate at the entrance to the terminal.