In the last two years, since the BJP led NDA Government headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi came to power at the Centre, apparel and handicrafts, each recorded 22% growth while textile exports grew by 8% during the same period – compared to the previous two year period.
This was underscored by Union Textiles Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar, who addressed a press conference here today on the initiatives and achievements of his Ministry during the past two years.
- Besides export promotionm the Minister apprised the media persons about the following initiatives and achievements of the Ministry ove the last two year period:
- Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (ATUFS) rolled out in January 2016 with a budget provision of Rs.17,822 crores for the next seven years; expected to attract an investment of Rs. One lakh crore and generate employment for 30 lakh persons.
- Promotion of Handlooms: India Handloom Brand launched on 7th August, 2015 by Hon’ble Prime Minister to ensure quality assurance to consumers and increased earnings to weavers. Credit flow to handloom weavers streamlined.
- Integrated Processing Development Scheme rolled out to provide up to 50% assistance for Common Effluent Treatment Plants with Zero Liquid Discharge system, subject to a ceiling of Rs.75 crore; six projects sanctioned to support processing clusters.
- Garment Manufacturing launched in the North East with setting up of Apparel and Garment Centres in all the 8 North Eastern States to promote entrepreneurship in apparel manufacturing and provide employment to the local population; units in Nagaland and Tripura inaugurated in April 2016, unit in Mizoram inaugurated in June 2016; Centres are ready in the remaining states (excepting Sikkim).
- 24 new Textile Parks sanctioned under the Scheme for Integrated Textile Parks with a potential investment of Rs.4500 crore and employment for 66,000 people.