Addressing the Lok Sabha today. Gandhi cited the examples of the splitting of czechoslovakia into the Czech Republic and Slovakia and partition of Pakistan leading to the creation of Bangladesh. Drawing an analogy, he cautioned against moves to disrupt the relationships that the Flag of India represents.
When I salute the flag I am not saluting the cloth. I am saluting the relationships that the flag represents, Gandhi said adding “A nation is the relationship between its people. It is nothing but the conversation between its citizens. When I protect the flag, I protect the conversations on which those relationships are built. I protect every single voice. But I pay special attention to the weakest- those that are most difficult to hear.”
On his recent visit to join the students protesting against the arresting of JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar and others and charging them with sedition for some alleged slogans raised at a students’ rally on the JNU campus, Rahul said: “When I went to JNU, your ABVP workers waved black flags in my face, they taunted and abused me. I felt no anger, I felt proud that I lived in an India where it was possible for me to be confronted by people who held a different opinion than me. I protected our Indian flag when I let your people wave those black flags in my face.”
He asked “Whose opinion does the PM respect except his own? You have been taught by your teachers in the RSS that there is only one truth – Yours. The Prime Minister cannot run the country on only his opinion. The country is not the Prime minister. The Prime Minister is not the country, said Gandhi.
Rahul went on to inform the House that the Prime Minister had told the Congress President that he had solved the Nagaland problem and signed a historic accord. Following this the Congress President had asked us to check what had happened because none of our CMs had mentioned anything about the Naga accord. Gandhi went on to reveal that when contacted the Chief Ministers of North-East were stunned and they had not heard a word about any accord. What had the government signed?.
As per the media reports, Gandhi said, even the officials in the Home Ministry and even in the Intelligence Bureau were not privy to the discussions.
Gandhi further said Pakistan directly attacked us in Mumbai on 26/11. “They trained and sent killers into the heart of Mumbai. Almost 200 people were butchered.The operation to stop the terrorists was on, our soldiers and citizens were dying. The Government of India begged the then CM of Gujarat again and again not to go to Mumbai because he would disturb the operation. Did he care? No.He went right ahead to Mumbai- to the Oberoi hotel itself and disturbed the entire operation. He grabbed his headlines while our people die,” said Gandhi.
After Mumbai, Gandhi said, the UPA Government had worked tirelessly to trap Pakistan. We isolated them internationally. We spent thousands of hours of diplomacy to put Pak in a diplomatic cage. We convinced the world that they were the global supporter of terror.
Directly targeting the PM, he said: What does the PM do? He decides to have a cup of tea with Nawaz Sharif. Without any thought, without any vision he decides to take a detour to Pak. He did not bother to ask anyone. Not the armed forces, not the intelligence people not even the diplomats. The PM destroyed 6-years of our work. In one move he let Pakistan out of the cage we had forced them into. He gifted them a status equal to ours.
Carrying forward the attack, Gandhi said: “When the PM stopped over at Pak without talking to the professionals in our government, he disrespected our flag. He disrespected those who died in Mumbai and Pathankot. He disrespected the talent of our bureaucrats and the tremendous talent of the Indian people.The PM still has the option to listen to what the country is trying to tell him. Listen to those around – to Rajnathji, Advaniji, Sushma ji. Listen to us across the aisle-we are not your enemies. Listen to the voice of our people- to the farmers and workers who have so much wisdom. Especially listen to the voice of the next generation. They are the future of this country. Allow them the dignity of their voice.”
Highlights of Rahul Gandhi’s address in Parliament
- We broke the back of insurgency in Kashmir.
- We convinced world that Pakistan is a global supporter of terrorism.
- Did the home minister know about Naga accord? Where has the accord gone now?
- The PM is not the country, the country is not the PM.
- You have been taught by teachers at RSS that there is only one truth.
- When media, teachers, students were attacked, why did you (govt) not speak?
- 60% students in JNU come from backward communities. The monthly income of their parents is less than Rs. 6000 per month.
- Govt is targetting JNU students because they come from poor sections of society.
- Modi is a very powerful person, but you people should say something, the ruling party MPs were told.
- How much employment did Modi generate?
- The government came up with a ‘Babbar Sher’ (lion) of Make In India.
- They launched a “Fair & Lovely” yojana (scheme), to convert black money to white money.
- Modi had promised that he will put people with black money behind bars, now they have come up with way to save those people.
- They launched a “Fair & Lovely” yojana, to convert black money to white money.
- Before elections PM Modi said Dal (pulses) is 70 Rs/Kg and he promised to bring down prices, but now Dal is 200 Rs/Kg.