New Delhi, Feb. 6: President Pranab Mukherjee has advised the Vice Chancellors to act as “gurus” and guide scholars and students to achieve the highest standards of academic brilliance. They should feel empowered and use the administrative and moral authority vested in them to make these universities “islands” radiating excellence in their spheres of influence.
The president was addressing the concluding session of a two-day Conference of Vice Chancellors of Central Universities (CUs) at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday.
The President invited one Inspired Teacher from each Central University to experience and be part of the Rashtrapati Bhavan community for a week under a new programme on the model of the Artists In-Residence and Innovation Scholars In-Residence programme. He also requested Central Universities to send representatives to participate in the one week long “Festival of Innovation” (FOIN) proposed to be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan in March, 2015.
The President urged the MHRD, UGC and the VCs to implement the recommendations of the conference in a time bound manner and said the Minister of HRD will take a meeting in June, 2015 to review achievement of deliverables.
The concluding session was attended by Union Minister of Human Resource Development Smriti Zubin Irani.
The VCs adopted a detailed set of recommendations on the five agenda items of the conference.These are (1) steps to create an eco-system for research and innovation; (2) capacity development of faculty, alumni participation and use of technology; (3) deepening engagement of Central Universities with community; (4) creating international and national networks for quality education and (5) adoption of Choice Based Credit System.
The recommendations include:
1. Choice Based Credit System must be implemented from the academic year 2015-16 in all CUs.
2. Each CU will set up a Community Development Cell which will identify at least 5 villages in its vicinity for adoption as model villages by the university.
3. A blended Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) strategy must be adopted.
4. CUs must recommend amendment of statutes, to enable induction of alumni in governing bodies, to the Ministry of HRD within next 60 days.
5. Selection of teaching staff must be completed within six months of appointment of Visitor’s nominees. Ministry of HRD must take immediate action to fill up vacancies of Vice Chancellors.
6. All activities towards NAAC accreditation must be completed within 6 months.
7. Database of alumni must be established by CUs within the next 3 months.
8. Each CU must nominate a nodal officer to feed the university’s needs and activities and share good practices and experiences on to the CU VC’s Discussion Page on the University of Hyderabad website.
9. Nodal officers for international rankings must be appointed within next 30 days in each CU.
10. Proposals to UGC for creation of centres of excellence must be sent within next 60 days.
11. CUs who are yet to establish Innovation clubs must do so within 60 days.
12. CUs who are yet to set up Inspired Teachers’ Network, must do so within next 30 days.
13. Industry-interface cells in CUs must be completed within next 3 months.